Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Reading Blog #3

I'm still reading my second book. I read from page 61 to page 107. What I read in these pages was that Slam's grandma is getting sicker and he is still behind in his classes. I also read that his basketball coach is not impressed by what he is doing on the court because it seems like he is showing off instead of being a part of the team. Also, for one of his classes he has to do a project and what he and his partner decide to do is video tape what Slam does on his free time and what his neighborhood is like. Then I read that he had to take a math test and he did not know how to do it and he looked at one of his classmates papers and found out how to do and then he kept trying on all the other problems.
As topics from the book I'm thinking self-determination and motivation because Slam is determined to be in the NBA some day and he motivates himself and get motivated by his friend to keep playing. That is why I think this is a good topic. Also I connected self-determination in both of my books in one form or another. In the previous book it was by the main character believing in his innocence and never giving up for freedom even when things got rough and also because he was determined to use his experience as a film and show others that prison is not a joke.
In this book I have not seen any big symbols yet. But one thing that keeps showing up is the basketball coach. He seems to always be dissatisfied with Slam. I think it might be because the coach wants Slam to do better with the books and with sportsmanship (working as a team player) because his skills on the court are great. I'm not very sure if that's a symbol but I feel that the coach will have something to do with what happens to Slam.

No comments: