Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Reading Blog #4

I'm still on my second book because I have been reading it slowly. In these last few days I read from page 107 to page 154. What I read was that Slam had done really bad on his test and the teacher said he had a hard time giving him the grade he got. Slam is also upset because he's still not starting in the basketball games and he's told by the assistant coach that he needs to act as a team player otherwise he will not start any of the games and he is also told that he needs to raise his grades or the coach won't let him play. In the pages I read it also focuses on the health of his grandma and how it seems she's doing better but she's actually getting worse. Also since Slam wants to raise his grades he decides to talk to Mtisha and she agrees to help him with math. When he goes to her house for help he notice it's not going to be easy because she's not going to give him the answer and he gets upset an leaves. When he gets home his younger brother tells him that he lost the camera that Slam had checked out of school to do his project and he gets upset. After that he continues to try in his math work and he talks to a friend he calls Ducky about basketball and how in the next game they are going to play together and make Ducky look good because he's not that good at basketball. Then he talks to another teammate that tells him that a scout is going to come to the game and he needs to look good because he really needs the scholarship and Slam gets upset because the coach didn't tell him about the scout.
In this book I noticed that the language in it is very easy to understand and slang is used throughout it. I also noticed that proper English is also used depending on the character that is speaking. In the first book that I read was written as movie script and that good part about that is that you get different perspectives of the story and not just one perspective. There are many characters and they all recall the event in questioned in slightly different ways. The story is also seen as an outside view at points and the language is easily understood. For both books the description is incredible, it makes me feel like I watching everything happen instead of reading it and that is what keeps me reading these books.

No comments: