Thursday, February 14, 2008

Reading Blog #1

Up to now I have read one of my American author books. The book that I have finished reading is called Monster it was 261 pages long. The book was about a 16 year old boy who was at the wrong place at the wrong time and got sent to jail. He knew some people who were always getting into trouble and one day he went into a store where the people he knew were going to steal some stuff. From their the people who committed the crime said that he was involved and he was suppose to see if there were any cops in the store. During the robbery the owner of the store was shot and killed by his own gun and the boy and a man who admitted to doing the crime were on trial to see if they would get sentenced with felony murder. During the time he is in jail he is describing how awful it's to be there and how so people are lying to themselves just to say that they are innocent and should not e there and the boy is also talking about the way that jail is a totally different world compared to the world outside of jail.The boy is really into films and throughout the process of the trial he is writing down everything as if he were making a movie. In the end he gets out free and without any charges while the other man gets locked up for 15 years to life.
The story is written as a film script in a way. It has directions to how the camera is going to be and who to zoom in to and a lot of dialogue. The story is also written as journal entries but not very many since the book mostly covers the trial. I think that this method is very effective because it show the perspective of the boy when he sees himself involved with the situation and the perspective of the boy when he sees this case as if he had nothing to do with it (as an outsider). The theme to the book is murder and trial cases because that is what keeps being mentioned throughout the book.
In this book I came past many passages that I liked, but the passage that really caught my attention and made me want to keep reading was the opening passage.
The best time to cry is at night, when the lights are out and someone is being beaten up and
screaming for help. That even if you sniffle a little they won't be able to hear you. I anybody knows that you are crying, they'll start talking about it and soon it'll be your turn to get beat up when the lights go out.
There is a mirror over the steel sink in my cell. It's six inches high, and scratched with the names of some guys who were here before me. When I look into the small rectangle, I see a face looking back at me but I don't recognize it. It doesn't look like me. I couldn't have changed that much in a few months. I wonder if I will look like myself when t he trial is over.
This morning at breakfast a guy got hit in the face with a tray. Somebody s aid some little thing and somebody else got mad. There was blood all over the place.
When the guards came over,they made us line up against the wall. The guy who was hit they made sit at the table while they waited for another guard to bring them rubber gloves. When the gloves came, the guards put them on, handcuffed the guy, and then to him to the dispensary. He was still bleeding pretty bad.
They say you get used to being in jail, but I don't see how. Every morning I wake up and I am surprised to be here. If your life outside was real, then everything in here is just the opposite. We sleep with strangers, wake up with strangers, and go to the bathroom in front of strangers.They're strangers but they still find reasons to hurt each other.
Sometimes I feel like I have walked into the middle of a movie. It is a strange movie with no plot and no beginning. The movie is black and white, and grainy. Sometimes the camera moves in so close that you can't tell what is going on and you just listen to the sounds and guess. I have seen movies of prisons but never like this. This is not a movie about bars and locked doors. It is about being alone when you are not really alone and about being scared all the time.
I think to get used to this I will have to give up what I think is real and take up something else. I wish I could make sense of it.
Maybe I could my own movie. I could write it out and play it in my head. I could block scenes like we did in school. The film will be the story of my life. No, not my life, but this experience. I'll write it down in the notebook they let me keep. I'll call it what the lady who is the prosecutor called me.
MONSTER
. (1-5)

No comments: